Making a great logo isn’t easy. In the course of any given day we all see thousands of logos and marketing messages. So how can you design your logo to stand out?
A good first step is to come up with a concept or style that resonates, plus works wells with your name, identity, and what your purpose is. Then work in a color palette and typography that sets your logo apart. Let’s delve into key attributes that will help you choose a memorable, meaningful logo and review the logo styles that we work with at Squadhelp.
Whether designing it yourself or asking a professional graphic artist to weigh in, it’s best to look at several different concept options to begin.
What to look for in a great logo?
- Simplicity is key. You only have a few seconds to gain the attention of the viewer and in that time they have to understand what your logo means.
- Agility – the idea and icon must be versatile and adaptable for many situations and across multiple product categories
- Unique – standout as creative and smart, yet remain recognizable as your own
- Message – conveys a story, whether by graphics, brand name, or words
- Timeless, not trendy; 10 years from now will the logo still be relevant?
Here at Squadhelp we have distilled 7 specific styles that make great logos
- Wordmark – the organization name in a stylish font becomes the logo
- Google, Coca Cola, and Walmart have wordmarks
- Pictorial Mark – An image or shape that is easily recognizable becomes the representation of your business
- The Target bullseye, Apple
- Abstract – An abstract shape or symbol is used to convey the values of your business
- Lexus, Nike, Toyota
- Letter Mark – Letters or initials from your business name create the logo
- IBM, CNN, McD’s, NBC
- Emblem – The organization name is contained within a picture or shape
- BMW, Harley Davidson, NFL
- Character – a mascot or animated character is used to represent your business
- Twitter bird, Starbuck’s Mermaid, Lacoste Alligator
Here are some of our favorite logos from our recent Squadhelp contests:
An elegant, modern wordmark
A bright, fun pictorial mark
A memorable pictorial mark
A strong emblem