When you have a great business idea or a new product you want to get on the market, it is essential that you come up with a great name. But how does one go about it? If you are trying to ideate and it just isn’t forthcoming naturally, read on and get inspired on ways to come up with wonderful names. After all, the right name and branding leads to success and lends itself to word of mouth marketing.
Can you imagine if Steve Jobs had named his Mac or Apple after himself? Epic fail. Instead, the names he gave his products and product line are brilliant, crisp, short, and memorable. According to Cultofmac.com, Jobs was on a fruitarian diet and had recently returned from a visit to an apple farm when he came up with the name. He said it was “fun, spirited, not intimidating.” We agree.
Epic naming fails include when a name is too long, unable to be spelled easily, or not memorable. It is also important not to have a name too similar to another product in a competing category. Also, keep in mind if you are starting in one category, say cosmetics, but you plan to expand to haircare, don’t box yourself in in a way that limits you later.
Make any of the aforementioned mistakes and it could be time to rebrand.
Why is having the right name so important anyway?
Here are some of the reasons:
- A memorable name is a calling card that will be thought of when you are not present.
- Names can be powerful, inspirational, emotional– all in a good way
- The right name positions your brand and product in the marketplace
- A short, succinct name that has a matching URL makes it easy for customers to reach you and get information about your services.
- A descriptive name often has your unique selling proposition as part of the name
- Having a bad name or one your target audience can’t remember or resonate with can put potential customers off.
At Squadhellp, naming and branding are our forte. We have helped over 12,000 customers name their companies and products. We understand how critical it is for you to have the right name– and we are here to help. To walk through the steps to a perfect name click here.
Here are a few of our favorite names:
- Flexhale- a yoga app
- BackPorch- a brewing company
- Promise Hill- a non-profit offering aid in developing countries
- Cloak & Dapper- a men’s brand
- Munchups- a snacking brand
- Parksy- a mobile app for parking
- Guac and Roll- fresh, fast food Mexican restaurant
- WeighBeyond- a managed weight loss, guidance program
- Kinetic Sweat- a Cardio focused fitness class
- Oak & Ash- a houseware brand name
- Throttle- a new media company
In conclusion, not everyone can come up with a name on a whim or on their own. That is why, at Squadhelp, we are here to help you every step of the way. We know that having the right name is a crucial first step to your go-to-market strategy. Once you have a name in hand– you are that much closer to launching. Onward…